For most blog writers, coming up with strong blog-post topics is a constant
concern. Many writers, especially those just starting out, make this process
much more daunting than it actually needs to be. Generating post ideas is
really less about creativity and more about discipline. Writers need to be
diligent in observing the world around them to uncover new and unique ideas,
and then record those ideas before they slip away. If they do this, they help
ensure a steady stream of topics they can develop at any time.
If you’ve been struggling in this area, here are some easy to implement steps you
can take today to start capturing a catalog of great ideas for posts:
- Record your daily thoughts and observations about your particular topic(s) of interest.
- Offer new and unique thoughts on topics other bloggers have written about.
- Report breaking news in your niche.
- Share your opinions about that news.
- Predict the future: What do you see happening in the year ahead?
- Share your experiences so that others can learn from them.
- Report on events that have or will take place.
- Visit social Q&A sites like Quora or LinkedIn Answers to see what other people are asking questions about.
- Save your emails: Did you recently compose a great email explaining a topic thoroughly? Repurpose it as a blog post.
- Ask others for ideas.
- If needed, find a blog-post idea service and subscribe to it, although skip the fee-based services if you can.
The key in this process is to constantly be curious. The ideas are out there, it’s only a matter of where you’ll uncover them from day to day. When you do find them, don’t let them escape. Build a stockpile of ideas that you can turn to and keep your blog writing moving without interruption. Before you know it, you’ll have more ideas (and posts) than you ever thought possible!
Let me know what you think. How have you kept those blog-post ideas flowing?