With 2011 quickly drawing to a close, it’s time to start thinking about 2012. That means setting some goals for the new year, including for your blog. Without specific and measurable goals, you’ll find your fulfillment from blogging and blog growth beginning to wane. Not a very motivating thought, is it?
The key in setting goals for your blog (or anything else) is to be detailed and precise. With this in mind, below is a framework you should use as you plan next year’s goals for your blog.
- Write it down: Commit to writing out your goal(s) and plans for achieving them. This way you can refer back when needed and stay more organized and focused.
- Be realistic: It’s important to determine what is achievable. Setting goals that are too aggressive can lead to frustration and hinder productivity.
- Clearly define the goal: It’s important to have a complete picture of what the goal is. Be as clear as possible. Use specific numerical measures when applicable. The more clarity you have, the easier it is to identify your target.
- Describe the process: List the steps that need to be taken, from first to middle to last, in order to achieve the goal. Successfully completing each step along the way will provide momentum to continue towards the overall goal.
- Estimate the time: When will you start? When will you finish? How long will it take for key intermediate steps to be completed? Adjustments in timing can always be made along the way if needed.
- When is it complete?: How will you know when the goal has been achieved? What does it look like? Are there metrics involved? Make sure you understand when it is that you can start celebrating the accomplishment your goal.
Using this framework will help dramatically in reaching your blogging goals for 2012. The list of potential goals is limitless, but here are some ideas to help spark your creativity:
- Launch a blog or new blog
- Commit to a frequency of posting
- Write longer posts
- Change the blog design
- Add new blog features
- Introduce a new focus or theme
- Invite guests to post on your blog
- Implement ways to monetize the blog
- Develop a blog marketing plan
Let me know what you think. What are your blogging goals for 2012?
Author: Steve Sonn
Steve Sonn is the Principal of S2 Marketing Communications. He has more than 25 years of marketing and PR experience with health care and business-to-business companies.