I recently attended “The Digital Media Roadmap: Are You Off-Roading?” sponsored by the Chicago AMA and came away with some great digital marketing insights. I hope to utilize them in my own digital marketing endeavors and wanted to share them here.
Speakers at the program were Larry Kramer, author of C-Scape: Conquer the Forces Changing Business Today; Deborah Powsner, head of Research & Marketing, B2B, Government & Local Markets, Google; and Casey Winters, director of Online and Interactive Marketing, GrubHub.
Here are some of the key points that I took away. Hopefully they will be helpful to you as well:
- The four C’s of digital are Consumer, Content, Curation and Convergence.
- The consumer is in control.
- Strong content trumps distribution.
- With the explosion of information, there is a growing need for content curation.
- We will continue to see a convergence of media forms. Marketing, advertising, PR will work together more.
- Advertisers and content companies must find more ways to collaborate.
- Every company will become a media company and in the content creation business.
- Key in the digital environment is to monitor and respond quickly.
- Look for ways to integrate video into your digital efforts.
- Seventy-eight percent of people conduct research online prior to purchase.
- Search query growth has increased by over 100 percent in the last three years.
- Find out what people are saying and searching for in your industry to leverage search growth.
- Get Google’s +1 button on your site. It allows people to recommend your brand to their network in searches.
- Take control of and respond to every customer touch point, including social media and all others.
- Build and interact where your customers are, not where you want them to be.
- Think about how to improve your timing, access and responsiveness in the digital environment.
These are some great insights to put to work in your digital program. What do you think about them? What insights would you add?